Manuel Rodríguez Sr (1926-2008) learned his craft from his father, himself a constructor of flamenco and classical guitars. In 1939, he went to work for Jose Ramirez II, where his father was working as a french polisher, several years. In 1945 he began moonlighting, making his own guitars at home. In 1955, he opened a workshop at Ministriles No 6, in Madrid.
Two years later he moved it to Jesus y Maria No 26. In 1959, he decided to move to Los Angeles, California, opening a workshop at 10400 Willshire Blvd. While in Los Angeles he, conducted research together with engineers at UCLA to improve the design of bracings, frets, tie-blocks, etc. In 1973, he moved back to Madrid, and opened a shop at calle Hortaliza, 26. In 1991, he opened a factory in Almansa, Albacete to produce a full line of Manuel Rodriguez guitars. In 1994, the factory moved to Illescas, Toledo.